Board matching services are currently available in the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, and London. All candidates must complete essential board training, our Board Governance Fundamentals course, prior to joining the board-matching portal.
Our board matching program is designed to connect individuals, like you, to board opportunities at a not-for-profit, charitable organization, or public agency.
Registration and Training
- Create an online profile.
- Based on where you are located in the operating cities (Hamilton, London, Greater Toronto Area, and Windsor), you will be contacted by our partnering local organization and scheduled for a consultation. This will help us fill in any gaps in our understanding of your skills and competencies, gain a better sense of your interests and goals in serving on a board, and answer any questions you may have.
- After the consultation is complete, you are invited to take Board Governance Fundamentals. You then complete the training course online at your own pace. Once you have completed the required training (10-12 hours) learners must submit a statement of completion for evaluation. Once reviewed and accepted, an online completion award and digital badge is issued to you. You are then provided access to the board matching portal.
- Hurrah! Stage one is now complete.
Board Matching and Follow-up
- With your training now complete, you are ready to begin your search for a governance board opportunity. Through the My onBoard portal you will be able to view available board vacancies that have been matched to your profile, experience, and interests.
- You will be able to bookmark these positions and view posting instructions to prepare your application.
My onBoard is a two-way process:
- based on your profile, you will find a list of available matches, and you can apply to any positions of interest to you. Organizations can also view your profile and resume and, if they are interested in you as a potential candidate, they may contact you directly. We encourage you to be proactive and contact any organization with a position of interest to you.
- For some postings, you may need to fill out an application form or prepare additional application materials. In such case, this information is provided in the online posting and onBoard Canada staff are there to help with any inquires.
- Once you have applied to a position, we strongly encourage you to inform your local onBoard Canada office. We may be able to offer additional advice and support.
Once you have been appointed (and this may take some time) you must update your My onBoard profile and share your great news with us! We are always keen to share the success stories of our network in our Appointee Spotlights and other program editorials.
Board matching is currently available for individuals in the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, London, and Windsor.
Our governance training modules are compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you are having difficulties accessing the board matching database, please contact email@example.com
- Board Matching through My onBoard – a “smart” state of the art and user-friendly board matching database which will match you to open board positions posted by a wide variety of organizations and allow you to apply to them directly
- Board Governance Fundamentals offering 8 online self-paced, interactive, and quality board competencies created by subject matter experts.
- Webinars – Access to supplementary online governance training sessions.
- In-person events – Board matching mixers, panel discussions, and networking events.
Contact us if fees will inhibit your participation.