About the Program
The board-matching program is currently available in the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, and London.
This program is for groups historically excluded on not-for-profit boards and public agencies, boards, and commissions of the municipal, provincial and federal governments so that their systemic under-representation in governance can be redressed.
All candidates complete onBoard Canada's Board Governance Fundamentals prior to joining the board-matching portal.
Registration and Training
- Create an online profile here.
- Based on where you are located in the operating cities (Hamilton, London & Area, Greater Toronto Area, and Windsor), you will be contacted by the participating local organization and scheduled for a consultation. This will help us further fill in any gaps in our understanding of your skills and competencies, gain a better sense of your interests and goals in serving on a board, and answer any questions you may have.
- After the consultation is complete, you will be invited to take Board Governance Fundamentals. You can do this at your own pace, in your own home. Once you have completed the training (10-12 hrs) learners submit a statement of completion for evaluation. After a review, an online completion award and digital badge will be issued to you. You will then have access to the board matching service
- Hurrah! Stage one is now complete.
Board Matching and Follow-up
- Your training is complete and you are ready to begin your search for a board opportunity. Through the My onBoard portal you will be able to view available board vacancies that have been matched to your profile, experience, and interests.
- You will be able to bookmark these positions and view posting instructions to prepare your application.
The onBoard Canada database is a two-way process:
- Your profile will show a list of available matches, and allow you to directly apply to any positions of interest. Organizations will also be able to view your profile and resume and, if they are interested in you as a potential candidate, they may contact you. We encourage you to be proactive and contact the organization if the position is of interest to you.
- For some postings, you may be asked to fill out an application form for the particular vacancy. In this case, you will deal directly with the board or public agency in question. DiverseCity onBoard staff are there to help facilitate this connection.
- Once you have applied to a position, we very strongly encourage you to inform your local onBoard Canada office. We may be able to offer additional advice and support.
Once you have been appointed (and this may take some time) you must circle back to onBoard Canada to update your profile and share with us your success!
Board matching is currently available for individuals in the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, London, and Windsor. Eligible candidates identify as a member of at least one of the following groups:
- Aboriginal/Indigenous Peoples
- Persons with disabilities*
- Visible Minorities
*Our governance training modules are compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you are having difficulties accessing the board matching database, please contact email@example.com
We acknowledge that the following terminology may not be representative of all identities. For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2-year access - Board Matching through My onBoard – a “smart” state of the art and user-friendly board matching database which will match you to open board positions posted by a wide variety of organizations and allow you to apply to them directly
- Board Governance Fundamentals offering 8 online self-paced, interactive, and quality board competencies created by subject matter experts. Learn more.
- Webinars – Access to supplementary online governance training sessions.
- In-person events – Board matching mixers, panel discussions, and networking events.
To remain in the Board Matching program after two years, a $75 annual fee will incur.
Contact us if fees will inhibit your participation.