- Covers foundational areas of board governance including board essentials, legal roles and responsibilities, finance fundamentals, commitment to diversity, strategic planning, risk, management, and resource development.
- Designed to develop your skills and knowledge to become an effective board member.
- Each module is presented through a series of modules building on the foundation through principles from lived experiences, case studies, and best practices.
- Developed by OnBoard Canada in consultation with many accomplished leaders in board governance.
7 accessible and self-paced online modules
No previous governance training required; suitable for emerging and experienced board directors.
Ongoing, register anytime, from anywhere.
Available in English only.
- Course: Embedding Diversity and Inclusion into an Organization
- Ongoing access to supplementary online governance training webinars
This course addresses seven key themes in board governance:
- The context of the not-for-profit sector
- Board life cycles, models and best practices
- Board roles and responsibilities
- Board meeting process and member participation
- Tools and resources to support learners in their board position
Subject Matter Specialist
- The legal obligations and issues of being a board member
- The rights and powers of a board of directors and individual board members
- Board composition
- The legal considerations and liabilities of board members
- Understanding insurance
- The role of boards, organizations, and board members in relation to finance
- Finance related roles and committees
- Budget planning and analysis
- Interpretation of financial statements and budgets
- How to assess the financial health of the organization
- Foundational understanding of the importance of diversity on boards
- The dimensions of diversity and inclusion
- The business case for diversity
- Board member roles in promoting diversity
- Understanding of cultural competence, tokenism, generalization, minimization, and the culture of a board
- Understanding risk
- The role of the board in managing risk
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Structures and processes for managing risk
- Risk classification and tolerance
- Understanding and developing an organization’s purpose and impact
- A strategic planning process and the tools to develop a strategic plan
- Methods for implementing the strategic plan
- Roles of the board and the executives in developing and implement the plan
- Context and challenges of resource development
- Key principles and concepts of effective resource development
- Success through a planning process
- Role of the board to support and enhance resource development
Subject Matter Specialists
Meet our team of subject matter specialists and leaders in the governance field. Together we have developed high quality, self-paced e-learning governance training, supplemented by webinars and in-person sessions. These courses are available to all individuals. They provide learners with the skills, knowledge, and resources to make an immediate contribution to governance boards in the non-profit and public sectors.